SGA Meeting Minutes – January 22, 2017
- Role Call:
- The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM.
- Present: Katherine Nicholas, Abbie Sullivan, Camila Duluc, Elizabeth Hilton, Tyler Brown-Cross, Precious Robinson, Bridget Murray, Kyra Sagal, Sam Heyrich, Mariana Garcia, Genesis Perez-Melara, Hannah Henderson-Charnow, Connie Lam, Nikki Shakamuri, Abby Chernila, Dilesha Tanna, Lea Williams, Manal Hussein, May Zhu, Leticia Robledo, Adriana Gay, Juhi Aggarwal, Makeda Wade, Farida Ilboudo, Evelyn Aviles, Jasmine Rangel, Madison Brown, Emily Drummond, Emma Lasky, Emma Levin, Claire Romaine, Claire Gaposchkin, Sarah Awad, Celeste Ledesma
- Absent: Ananya Kumar, Catherine Bunza, Sohini Maniar, Nora Dell, Priyanka Dutta, Margaret Gorman, Jessica Breet, Emma Porter, Phoebe Dopulos, Nichol Westerduin
- Budgets for Spring 2017 are due January 26 on Moodle. Please email Jocelyne Oliveros at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. o The February 5 SGA meeting will take place at 2:00 PM instead of 7:00 PM for the Superbowl. Location is to be determined.
- Your Two Cents:
- There were no Your Two Cents.
- Representative Council Updates:
- Elected members of the Representative Council went around and stated what they have accomplished in their role thus far and what they hope to accomplish in the next semester. Many members of Representative Council discussed successful work dynamics and events that occurred last semester. Many also hoped to continue in community building for their respective constituencies. Details can be found in the transcript of the meeting minutes below.
- Old Business:
- There was no Old Business.
- New Business:
- Candidates’ Forum for February Elections will take place Friday, February 3 at 6:30 PM [please note update from minutes below]. Positions up for election include the E-Board, Head of Elections, Members of Appointments, emergency positions for COPS, LILAC CDP, Off-Campus, Representative, and one Member-at-Large. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
- The meeting was adjourned at 7:20 PM.
- Next week’s meeting will be a Plenary Mixer where students can discuss their ideas for Plenary Resolutions. Have an idea for a Plenary Resolution? Come talk about it!
Rhea Manglani ‘17: Okay, it’s 7:10. We’re going to start the meeting with Role Call.
Rachel Bruce ’18: I am required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to tell you that everything will be recorded tonight.
Present: Katherine Nicholas, Abbie Sullivan, Camila Duluc, Elizabeth Hilton, Tyler Brown-Cross, Precious Robinson, Bridget Murray, Kyra Sagal, Sam Heyrich, Mariana Garcia, Genesis Perez-Melara, Hannah Henderson-Charnow, Connie Lam, Nikki Shakamuri, Abby Chernila, Dilesha Tanna, Lea Williams, Manal Hussein, May Zhu, Leticia Robledo, Adriana Gay, Juhi Aggarwal, Makeda Wade, Farida Ilboudo, Evelyn Aviles, Jasmine Rangel, Madison Brown, Emily Drummond, Emma Lasky, Emma Levin, Claire Romaine, Claire Gaposchkin, Sarah Awad, Celeste Ledesma
Absent: Ananya Kumar, Catherine Bunza, Sohini Maniar, Nora Dell, Priyanka Dutta, Margaret Gorman, Jessica Breet, Emma Porter, Phoebe Dopulos, Nichol Westerduin
Jocelyne Oliveros ‘18: Hi, so budgets started so just remember to hand that in by January 26.
Rhea Manglani ‘17: Anyone else?
Sam Heyrich ‘17: February 5 is the Superbowl and every year SAAC has an open Superbowl party. The Superbowl starts at 6:30, which overlaps with SGA. We are proposing that SGA happens during the day, something we do during the Superbowl every year.
Rhea Manglani ‘17: So for February 5, what is a proposed time? Lea Williams ‘20: 2:00 PM.
Genesis Perez-Melara ‘19: 4:00 PM.
Rhea Manglani ‘17: Anyone else? So your options are 2:00 and 4:00. Your options are yes, no, and abstain. Raise your hand for 2:00? 4:00? So February 5 the meeting will be at 2:00. We will update you on the location.
Your Two Cents:
Rhea Manglani ’17: Your Two Cents is a time when any member of the Bryn Mawr community can hold a straw poll or present a new item for discussion. We have ten minutes for this agenda item. Are there any Your Two Cents?
Representative Council Updates:
Rhea Manglani ‘17: This was in the email. It’s basically a time to give Representatives a way to update everyone on the work they’ve been doing. Let’s have two minutes to brainstorm. Things like what have you done— real quick, real brief— what have you accomplished, and what do you hope to accomplish?
Rhea Manglani ‘17: This section.
Kyra Sagal ‘17: Hi I’m Kyra Sagal ‘17.
Bridget Murray ‘17: Hi I’m Bridget Murray ‘17.
Kyra Sagal ’17: We’re the ResCo heads. We successfully ran ResCo meetings. Something we hope to do this semester is run a successful room draw.
Nikki Shakamuri ‘19: Lillian and I are 2019 Co-Class Presidents. Last semester we threw an around the world food get together that was really successful; this semester hope to collaborate with other classes more.
Sam Heyrich ‘17: I’m the Social Committee Head. Last semester we had a really successful Halloween Party in Campus Center. This semester we hope to have a successful Spring Fling.
Katherine Nichols ‘17: SAAC Liaison. We’re well on our way to reaching our goal for charity.
Juhi Aggarwal ‘18: Denbigh Dorm President. There were no big problems in Denbigh last semester. This semester I hope to run successful room draw.
Tyler Brown-Cross: McBride Representative. I haven’t done anything really. I want to gain better awareness of school and make sure McBrides are more integrated.
Abby Chernila ‘20: Abby Chernila ’20, Co-Class President of 2020.
Dilesha Tanna ‘20: Dilesha Tanna ’20, Co-Class President of 2020. Last semester we planned sibling social events and a traditions mixer. This semester we hope to plan more events to get to know more freshmen, and help them know one another
Makeda Wade: Makeda Wade, ECC Co-President. One thing we did this semester was successfully have first years in the dorm for first time. This semester we hope to have better community.
Camila Duluc ‘19: Haverford Representative. Last semester I went to all the meetings. Next semester hope there’s something worthwhile to listen to at Haverford
Jasmine Rangel ‘17: Co-President of East. Last semester we accomplished the east side of East v. West. Nothing broke. This semester we hope to build community in our dorm.
Abbie Sullivan ‘17: Faculty Rep. So far I’ve been trying to keep you guys updated. I hope to get more of your interests in this semester.
Rhea Manglani ‘17: Alright, so this section.
Claire Romaine ‘17: Rhoads North Dorm President. Last semester we worked well with Roads South. This semester I’m hoping to do more stuff with the whole dorm and have events with them.
Claire Gaposchkin ‘17: Rhoads South Dorm President. Things went pretty smoothly. We had our teas and the DLT and kept working well together. I hope to have more successful events this semester.
Lea Williams ‘20: I’m speaking for the Members-at-Large. We successfully did some social media advertising and helped plan for Big Cheese Forum. This semester we are hoping to plan more pop-ups, including one for Valentine’s Day that we’re planning right now.
Adriana Gay ‘19: Brecon Co-Dorm President. Everything went smoothly. I’m intent on making sure Brecon Prom happens. Hopefully there will be no more bats.
Mariana Garcia ‘19: Co-Head of Elections.
Genesis Perez-Melara ‘19: Co-Head of Elections. So last semester we passed a resolution at Plenary. We also ran a successful elections round. This semester we are running our last elections for February. We are doing it now just to make sure it doesn’t clash with WTF Week. Nominations begin tomorrow. Candidates’ Forum will be on February 2. We don’t have a time yet, but it will most likely be between 7:00 and 9:00 PM.
Mari Garcia ‘19: Positions up for election are the E-Board, Head of Elections, Members of Appointments, emergency positions for COPS, LILAC CDP, Off-Campus, Representative, one Member-at-Large, and a Dorm President for Batten.
Genesis Perez-Melara ’19: Batten’s Dorm President is not included in the general election.
Emma Levin ‘17: Radnor Dorm President. We ran a pretty successful Radnor Halloween this semester. We hope to have a successful rest of the year.
Connie Lam ‘18: 2018 Class President. So last semester I hosted with 2020 a sibling class social; we wrote postcards to those studying abroad and had some sort of distress Insomnia Session—sorry, Insomnia Cookie Session. This semester I hope to have more sibling class socials and more socials with the senior class as well.
Celeste Ledesma ‘17: Co-Rock Dorm President. Last semester we got our vending machines moved so that’s cool. This semester is Rock St. Patty’s. Hopefully all goes well.
Elizabeth Hilton ‘19: Last semester I built relationships with the LILAC staff. I also helped facilitate the voting van for the election. This semester I hope to be more transparent.
Emily Drummond ’17: West Dorm President. Madison Brown ’17: West Dorm President.
Emily Drummond ’17: Last semester we successfully held the west portion of East v. West. We did break something but it’s fixed now. This semester we hope to have a successful WTF Week with traditions.
Precious Robinson ‘19: I’m the Pensby Representative. Last semester I worked closely with staff on what’s going on there. This semester I hope to help them plan a few more things and facilitate conversations with different affinity groups on campus.
Rhea Manglani ‘17: Thank you, everyone!
Rhea Manglani ’17: Old Business is a time when any member of the Representative Council can revisit a topic previously discussed at an SGA meeting. The subject matter must relate to their position. We have ten minutes for this item. Any Old Business?
Rhea Manglani ’17: New Business is a time when any member of the Representative Council can bring up a new topic for discussion. The subject matter must be related to their position. Is there any New Business?
Rhea Manglani ‘17: Just to reiterate, please nominate people. Please.
Genesis Perez-Melara ‘19: You can self-nominate, don’t be shy. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mariana Garcia ’19: If you nominate yourself we won’t tell anyone. Rhea Manglani ’17: Is there a motion to end the meeting—okay.
Bridget Murray ’17 motioned to end the meeting.
Rhea Manglani ’17: Second?
Claire Romaine ‘17 seconded.
Rhea Manglani ‘17: This is a Representative Council vote only. Your options are yes, no, and abstain. Hands for yes, no, abstain.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:20 PM.