Categories
Minutes

March 1, 2015

Roll Call
Announcements
Your Two Cents
Old Business
New Business
Plenary Recap
Introduction to 2015 – 2016 Eboard
College Budget Committee Recap

Roll Call
Present: Anna Kalinsky, Heidi Gay, Anna Sargeant, Pamudu Tennakoon, Pam Gassman, Dijia Chen, Delaney Williams, Swetha Narasimhan, Natalie DiFrank, Kristian Sumner, Xavia Miles, Rhea Manglani, Ava Hawkinson, Brenna Levitin, Makala Forster, Marian Slocum, Grace Kim, Chanel Williams, Aleja Newman, Odeymarys Garrido, Ann Tran, Connie Lam, Matison Hearn-Desautels, Stephanie Montalvan, Shaina Robinson, Lyntana Brougham, Dani Weismann, Jessica Bernal, Shakari Badgett, Angie Koo, Gabrielle Crossnoe, Jillian Moroney, Nkechi Ampah, Carly Breen, Melanie Bahti, Alexis McDonald, Julie Henrikson.
Absent: Sofia Oleas, Joy Chan, Mikah Farbo, Miranda Smith, Julia Kim, Lindsay Burak, Rachel Feynman, Leigh Peterson, Sneha Bendapudi, Catherine Wagner, Prerana Vaddi, Leah Kahler, Olivia Hollinger, Elaine Holehan, Modupe Olufemi.

Charlie Bruce called the meeting to order at 7:10pm
Charlie Bruce ‘16: We apologize- our slide system is not working. Please bear with us!

Roll Call
Angela Motte ’17: When I call your name, please tell me that you’re here. If I mispronounce your name, please correct me! The sign in book is going around- be sure to sign in.

Angela Motte ’17: Thank you!
Charlie Bruce ‘16: If anyone has any announcements please come up to the microphone now. We have allotted 10 minutes for this agenda item.

Announcements
Pamela Gassman ‘16: If you are in a band, register for the Tri-Co Battle of the Bands and compete for a chance to open the MAY DAY CONCERT, brought to you by Bryn Mawr Concert Series and Traditions. Any band with at least 2 Trico students are eligible! If your group is interested in performing on May Day, please fill out our Google form – links on traditions.blogs.brymawr.edu under May Day and in an email we sent to community. Lastly, after break we will have a Traditions Rummage Sale! Date/time TBA. Questions? Email traditions@brynmawr.edu

Swetha Narasimhan ‘15: The BMC Community Garden will start seeding in the greenhouse next to Park on Thursday (March 5th!). Meet in the garden at 4:30pm or come by later to plant a couple seeds and say hi! No experience needed! Any questions, please contact Frankie Leech at fleech@brynmawr.edu.

Natalie DiFrank ‘17: Career peer hours have started! They will be: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10:30-11:30am; Monday-Friday 3-4pm; Monday-Thursday 7:30-9:30 pm. STEM faculty along with the CPD have already received a grant to have about three career workshops that focus on how to integrate STEM fields within various work places including business. These workshops will be offered sometime next year as planning is still taking place. Due to the recent concerns raised by the STEM plenary resolution the CPD staff are in the process of both planning and creating either a conference or workshop to better educate all career counselors on how to better support students who pursue STEM.

Anna Kalinsky ‘15: On Thursday, the residence council voted and approved the Rock president’s proposed budget of $180 for food and decorations for Rock St. Patty’s, an annual party. The $180 comes from the residence council party budget.

Makala Forster ’15: Senior cocktail is March 27th! We need servers and bouncers, so please sign up if you can! Seniors donate to the juice fund, and check your emails. If you have any questions email mrforster@brynmawr.edu
Pamudu Tennakoon ’15: When is the next senior cocktail?
Makala Forster ‘15: I believe, Friday the 27th

Xavia Miles ‘16: March 18th is the campus wide community day of learning. We will have no classes that day. I will send out more information through the listserv. The topic will be race and ethnicity at Bryn Mawr and beyond.

Charlie Bruce ‘16: Mark your calendars, because the Big Cheese Forum is happening! The Big Cheese Forum is when students invite campus administrators to campus to answer questions about subjects of student interest. Sometime after spring break, we will have a planning meeting to create a set of proposed topics and questions for the forum. This year, the Big Cheese forum will be April 19th, at 7pm in the Campus Center. Tell your friends about it. Start thinking about topics of interest. Admitted students will also be here, so please be extra courteous. I wanted to revive the conversation around Hot Topics again. Last semester, Syona Arora ‘15 started the post-meeting agenda item of the Hot Topic. I wanted to talk about this for a bit. The item itself is post-meeting so that members of the Representative Council, who are elected positions, don’t have to speak on behalf of their constituents. It’s a space where everyone who is willing to engage in a conversation about a particular subject. We have only had one Hot Topic this semester. I’ve reached out to a few folks already who are involved with relevant topics on campus, but I’m open to any more suggestions. If anyone wants to host a Hot Topic about anything, send the Eboard an email (sga@brynmawr.edu). Another meeting related announcement: if any student wants to give a presentation on behalf of their club, committee, or position, please do so! I’d like to have a more diverse range of kinds of Agenda meeting items different from the norm. Does anyone have any questions?
Aleja Newman ’17: Can we take a straw poll to see if people like this idea?
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Yes! I like that idea! To continue – I’d like to clarify meeting procedure. I’m just going to read what the procedure is. Your Two Cents: During this item, any new items for discussion, questions, or announcements can be made. Old Business: During this time, material that has already been presented may be revisited, questioned, or announced. New Business: (Representative Council members only) any new items for discussion, questions, or announcements can be made that relate to the representative’s position. For the next meeting, I’m going to merge Announcements and Your Two Cents.

Your Two Cents
Charlie Bruce ’16: We’re going to move on to our next agenda item- Your Two Cents. During this item, any new items for discussion, questions, or announcements can be made. We have allotted ten minutes for this agenda item.

Elizabeth Vandenberg ‘16: I’m one of the editors of the College News. With every news issue, we have a center spread question. We wanted to propose three different center spread questions to see what you all think- we wanted to see what question everyone would like to see in print. If you have any other questions that you would like to have in the news, please let me know. You can contact us at evandenber@brynmawr.edu or akalinsky@brynmawr.edu . This issue theme is family, and I would like to propose a straw poll to see which question you would like to have answered. The questions are:
1. What is your favorite TV family?
2. What is the family you love to hate/hate to love?
3. What is your favorite dysfunctional family?

Anna Kalinsky ’15: Sweet, thank you very much!

Natalie DiFrank ’17: I’m the CPD rep, and we’ve been thinking about doing a reverse career fair. A reverse career fair is when employers approach students who have set up booths that represent there clubs and interests. Then the employers come up to them, ask them questions, and hopefully present them with job or other opportunities!
Anna Kalinsky ‘15: Do we have employers who are interested in doing this?
Natalie DiFrank ‘17: Yes, it’s been done in other universities.
Brenna Levitin ‘16: Would you only be able to do this if you’re part of a club?
Natalie DiFrank‘17: No, you wouldn’t need to be a part of a club.
Brenna Levitin ‘16: So you’re privileging students who are a part of clubs?
Natalie DiFrank ‘16: No, we’re not.
Brenna Levitin ‘17: So what about the people who work jobs and don’t have time for clubs?
Aleja Newman ‘17: In response to what Brenna is saying, we could send out a listerv to the community where we send out a link to job applications based on individual interests so we can make it more accessible.
Natalie DiFrank ‘17: Ok. I think that’s a good idea. The CPD is trying to make more resources available for all students to have more opportunities presented to them.
Elizabeth Vandenberg ‘16: Couldn’t we just have a booth for people who have jobs on or off campus?
Natalie DiFrank ‘17: Yes, we could. That’s a good idea. Thanks!

Introduction to 2015 – 2016 Eboard
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Thank you. We’re going to move on to your next agenda item. This is Eboard introduction. We have allotted 10 minutes for this agenda item.

Charlie Bruce ‘16: Hey everyone! I’m Charlie Bruce, class of 2016. I’m a comparative literature major, with a double minor and film and political science. I use they/them pronouns. Something interesting about me: I’ve lived in both a town of less than 2,000 people and a city of over 21 million people. In terms of personal projects, I’m continuing my collaboration on the Institutional Memory project with Miranda Smith ‘16 and Kate Hinchey ‘16. By the end of the semester, I will have a toolkit for clubs to use that teaches clubs how to create their own archives. My goals for my term are to increase the diversity of opinion within SGA meetings. Constructive critique of existing systems sets us on the path towards positive change. I want to make this space as inclusive as possible for differing opinions through changing meeting structure and facilitation practices. I want to better advertise the power of self-governance as a tool for professional development and personal growth. If you ever have any ideas about ways we can change the space of SGA meetings, please contact the Eboard at SGA@brynmawr.edu.

Gabrielle Smith ’17: Hi! My name is Gabrielle Smith, class of 2017. I’m a sociology major, and hopefully will get a French minor. I use she/her pronouns. I’m very excited to work with the Appointments Committee this year to improve the Appointments process. I want to continue Appointments info sessions, continue the work the Alexis has started in regards to working with the CPD and LILAC to have interview workshops and committee workshops. Most importantly, I want to increase the publicity of the Appointments rounds. I will work with the committee to make bathroom stall newsletters, posters, videos, whatever it takes! If you have any suggestions of how we can increase knowledge about appointments, please contact me at gbsmith@brynmawr.edu, or through the new appointments Gmail account, which is bmcappointments@gmail.com .

Angela Motte ‘17: Hello! My name is Angela Motte, and I am class of 2017. I’m still undeclared, although I’m going back and forth between History and Classics. I use she/her pronouns. This semester I plan to help increase the accessibility of SGA in the greater Bryn Mawr community. I hope to do this by creating various media projects, such as weekly SGA recap videos. I also plan to reorganize the Member-At-Large positions to help utilize them in a manner that would benefit the community, as well as creating a more efficient structure to increase productivity. If you have any announcements for SGA meetings, please email me at amotte@brynmawr.edu . If you have any comments or suggestions for me, or any improvements I can make, please notify me through my email, and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Linh Tran ‘16: Hi everyone! I’m Linh Tran, class of 2016. I’m a Chemistry major, Biochemistry concentration; she/her pronouns; also an international student from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I’m thrilled to be a part of the SGA E-board and I’m really looking forward to working with everyone this term. As SGA treasurer, my goals are
1. Continue Namita’s work on increasing transparency and accessibility of the budgeting process. Currently we are looking into improve our budgeting data system (something better than the Google Drive) so if you have any suggestion feel free to contact me at lntran@brynmawr.edu
2. To be more involved as an information channel between the student body and the college, representing students’ voice on how the college is dealing with money, as well as informing the students of the institution’s financial decisions and the workings behind it.
3. Collaborate effectively with our counterpart at Haverford to maximize the benefit of our students and Bi-co clubs activities.
Charlie: Great! We’re all super excited to serve this term. If you have any feed back for us, please feel free to email us.

Molly Mac Dougall ‘16: Hello! My name is Molly Mac Dougall, class of 2016. Psych Major, Child and Family Studies Minor. I use she/her pronouns, and I am head of the Honor Board.
Goals:
– Smooth out process with Haverford’s Honor Council
– Continue to work on Customs Week and Faculty Honor Code Orientation
– Improve visibility of entire Board
– Improve accessibility of the Board and of the Code in accordance with student feedback about what changes need to be made
– Amend the Code to use gender-neutral language

College Budget Committee Meeting
Charlie Bruce ‘16: We have allotted 10 minutes for this agenda item.
Linh Tran ‘16: Because we have no slides, this will be an interesting recap! I want to start talking about the tuition. We have a 3.5% increase from last year. This information is all available on the Bryn Mawr College website. The college is doing well in terms of finances. We also talked about faculty salary increases. We had a good 2013- we have caught up with the average, although we fell in 2014. Overall we’re still doing well. Since we’ve finalized our tuition fee for next year, we can project our gross revenue. Some of the items we’ve advocated for are Dining Services, food cost increases and costs of more students on campus/on meal plans; Tri-Co Faculty Diversity, Consortium for Faculty Diversity Meeting at BMC; Travel and professional development for Dean’s Office Staff; a Perry House programming support; Wellness, “Speak About It”, and Alcohol Education; Security support for three major campus parties (Radnor Halloween, East vs. West and Flower Dance); and a permanent increase in the classroom technology fund. These may not make it to the proposal, however, we are advocating for them. After the April meeting we will have more information!

Old Business
Charlie: Any questions? Ok! We have no more comments or questions, so I guess we’ll move on to old business. During old business, material that has already been presented may be revisited, questioned, or announced. We have allotted 10 minutes for this agenda item.

New Business
Charlie Bruce ’16: Ok, no one? New business! New business is for the Representative Council members only. Any new items for discussion, questions, or announcements can be made that relate to the representative’s position. We have allotted 10 minutes for this agenda item. Nothing? No final comments? Ok, we need a motion to end the meeting.

Anna Kalinsky ’15: I motion to end the meeting.
Jessica Bernal ’17: I second.
Charlie Bruce’16: This is a representative council vote only, please consult with your co-held position.

(Anna Kalinsky, Heidi Gay, Anna Sargeant, Pamudu Tennakoon, Pam Gassman, Dijia Chen, Delaney Williams, Swetha Narasimhan, Natalie DiFrank, Kristian Sumner, Xavia Miles, Rhea Manglani, Ava Hawkinson, Brenna Levitin, Makala Forster, Marian Slocum, Grace Kim, Chanel Williams, Aleja Newman, Odeymarys Garrido, Ann Tran, Connie Lam, Matison Hearn-Desautels, Stephanie Montalvan, Shaina Robinson, Dani Weismann, Jessica Bernal, Shakari Badgett, Angie Koo, Gabrielle Crossnoe, Jillian Moroney, Nkechi Ampah, Carly Breen, Melanie Bahti, Alexis McDonald, Julie Henrikson voted to adjourn the meeting, Lyntana Brougham abstains)

Charlie Bruce ’16: Meeting Adjourned! Thank you all!

Meeting Adjourned at 7:57 pm