Categories
Minutes

October 4, 2015 Minutes

Bryn Mawr College SGA Meeting – October 4, 2015

Roll Call

Announcements

Your Two Cents

Old Business

Introduction of New Members of Representative Council

Big Cheese Forum Discussion

New Business

Roll Call

Present: Madison Wilson, Samantha Heyrich, Jasmine Rangel, Delaney Williams, Natalie DiFrank, Chanel Williams, Coco Wang, Emma Basen-Engquist, Lindsey Foster, Rachel Ofili, Eve Cantler, Charlette Williams, Casiana Omick, Bridget Murray, Ana Llamas, JoyAngelica Chan, Ann Tran, Stephanie Montalvan, Khadijah Seay, Danielle Cadet, Celeste Ledesma, Emily Gifford-Smith, Connie Lam, Lyntana Brougham, Sarah Andrew, Lilly King, Oona Ryle, Delia Landers, Hannah Chinn, Nora Dell, Melanie Bahti, Erin Saladin, Rina Patel, Sedi Agawu, Lillian Oyen-Ustad, Nikitha Shakamuri, Tyler Brown-Cross, Mara Dominguez, Sneha Soni, Olivia Hollinger, Radhika Singh, Emily Siegel.

Absent: Rhea Manglani, Maria Minaya, Miranda Smith, Elizabeth Lorenzana, Diamond Ray, Elaine Holehan, Alexis Wiltsire, Tosin Ajiboye, Kyra Sagal, Shakari Badgett, Modupe Olufemi, Dijia Chen.

Charlie Bruce ‘16 called the meeting to order at 7:10pm

Charlie Bruce ’16: Hey everyone let’s begin with roll call!

Roll Call

Angela Motte ’17: Hello everyone! As a reminder, I record these meetings, so keep that in mind when you speak.

Absent: Rhea Manglani, Maria Minaya, Miranda Smith, Elizabeth Lorenzana, Diamond Ray, Elaine Holehan, Alexis Wiltsire, Tosin Ajiboye, Kyra Sagal, Shakari Badgett, Modupe Olufemi, Dijia Chen

Charlie Bruce ’16: Thanks! We’re going to move on to announcements. During this item, any new items for discussion, questions, or announcements can be made. We have allotted ten minutes for this agenda item.

Announcements

Rachel Ofili ’16: BMC Volleyball will be having a movie night fundraiser featuring “She’s the Man” this Thursday, October 8th in the gym. We will have a pre-movie performance by Black Top at 8pm. Movie tickets are $2. We have a $5 package deal that includes a movie ticket, popcorn, candy and a drink! Win an insomnia cookie party and other prizes!! Come out have a blast and support! Everyone is welcome.

Campus Safety Officer: I’m here to talk to you about the rumors on the internet and to see if you have any questions. They are rumors- that is foremost. They are spreading like crazy. Even Villanova’s campus safety said that. It is not credible. That’s the main thing. I ask you to stay vigilant. You are good about not letting people into the dorm, and calling about suspicious people, especially with people by themselves with a backpack. I don’t care with time it is, call us. Our purpose is to keep you safe. Stay vigilant. I just got off the phone with the director, and we will have classes tomorrow. If you have any questions, please ask them. Any other questions, even during the night, call down at the campus safety office

Sarah Andrew ’16: I’m just wondering why you’re saying it’s not credible?

Officer: The FBI has been contacted, and it’s on the internet, it’s general, we have so many colleges in the area, it’s not directed at our school in particular.

Sarah Andrew ’16: In light of recent events, will extra precautionary measures be taken tomorrow?

Officer: I just got off the phone with the director, so that I’m not sure. I know the police will have extra man power, and we’re just a phone call away from those guys.

Swati Shastry ’18: Can you speak into the microphone please?

Officer: Yes sorry, anything else?

Hannah Chinn ’19: As someone who is from Oregon, I find these rumors disturbing. In the event of a credible threat, should we be taking any extra measures, or should we just go about our business?

Officer: Go about your business, you’ll be notified immediately if anything happens.

Delaney Williams ’17: Can you review the procedure?

Officer: Do as the text message says. The text will tell you. Find shelter; do not open the door, no matter what you hear, do not open any doors. We don’t want anyone to work themselves into a panic, this threat isn’t credible. If you find something out, we will immediately let you all know. I’d rather have you all informed- the goal is to keep everyone safe and that’s what we’re gonna do.

Lyntana Brougham ’16: Should something happen, and we’re in class, and our phone is off, do we have a secondary alarm?

Officer: An alarm will go off.

Emily Siegel ’16: Can you review the active shooter protocol?

Officer: The protocol is basically if we find out about an active shooter on campus, emails and an alarm will be instantaneous. The text and email will tell you what’s going on. If you’re in the dorm, get into your room and lock your door. Don’t answer the door no matter what. Statistically, the shooter tends to be single white males aged 25-35 who act by themselves. They’re nuts. They want to get as many kills as they can. Lock yourself in place and do as the text or email says. If you’re in class, ask the professor what to do. Lock yourself in the classroom. We’ll keep you informed.

Bridget Murray ’17: Are you planning on passing this information on to the other students on the campus who aren’t here right now?

Officer: The email was sent out already by Tom King. It was really nice to meet you all, not under these circumstances, but any questions, call any time. Have a good night you all.

Charlie Bruce ’16: With that I have an announcement. Are you interested in meeting students from other colleges in the Seven Sisters Coalition? Then come to the Seven Sisters Conference! The application for the Seven Sisters Conference is now available! Email the SGA Eboard at SGA@brynmawr.edu if you have any questions.

Gabrielle Smith ’17: The results of the September 2015 appointments round are in! Here are the new appointees! Film Series Committee- Kellie Dinh, Isabella Nugent. Outreach and Communications Committee- Megan Murray, Kellie Dinh, Anyi-Wong Lifton, Chloe Sheen. Plenary Committee Head- Marisa Rafsky. Plenary Committee- Isabella Chaney, Megan Murray, Chloe Sheen, Nanda Bhushan. Traditions Committee- Kathrine Lee, Cassandra Paul, Tara Wadhwani, Sohini Maniar. Student Financial Services Advisory Board- Nehel Shahid, Jwahir Sundai. Student Curriculum Committee- Anyi-Wong Lifton, Bushra Amin, Jennifer Park. Student Finance Committee- Mehendi Siraj, Hemma Murali. Elections Board- Bisma Naqi. Isabelle Chaney, Hemma Murali. Social Committee- Bisma Naqi, Sophia Randazzo, Swati Shastry, Bushra Amin, Nanda Bhushan. Congratulations! If you have any questions, please email gbsmith@brynmawr.edu. More information can be found at appointments.blogs.brynmawr.edu.

Molly MacDougall ’16: Dorm Presidents could you please remind your residents that the Honor Board does not stand behind people leaving their personal belongings around the dorms and public buildings on campus. While people should respect your belongings, it is not specifically part of the Honor Code. In order to best protect your belongings, keep them in your room or on your person.

Linh Tran ’16: I found out that SGA gets to set the SGA due. An agreement was set a few years ago, we didn’t know how it was done, but I’ll get that information soon from the treasurer’s office. So the SGA Exec board and the treasurer’s office would get together and talk, and would apply this. But after finding this out, we will be talking about this and we will try to reverse this. If you have any questions, you can reach out to me.

Charlie Bruce ’16: Any more announcements? Ok Next item! Your Two Cents! Anyone in the BMC undergrad community can host a straw poll or bring up a topic for discussion.

Your Two Cents

Charlie Bruce ’16: Any one have cents? I do! I met with Bob Miller last week; he’s a very nice man that no one talks to- I mean students don’t talk to him, other people talk to him. We were talking about possible LILAC collaboration about a workshop on fundraising. We have many amazing workshops, but I’ve been hearing from a lot of alumnus that we lack in this area. Would you all be interested in this? Yes, no, abstain. Thanks! On to introduction of new members!

Charlie Bruce ’16: So last week we didn’t officially get to meet our newly elected people. Please come up the microphone with your name, your class year, your pronouns, and a fun fact!

Nora Dell ’19: Hi everyone, I’m Nora and I’m a member at large. I use she/her pronouns, and I’m class of 2019. My fun fact is that I speak Japanese.

Oona Ryle ’19: Hello, I’m Oona Ryle. I’m a member at large. I use she/her. My fun fact is that I recently managed to watch the entire batman trio logy in one sitting.

Hannah Chinn ’19: Hey I’m Hannah! I’m class of 2019. During the candidate’s forum I didn’t know what to say for one of the answers, so I just said ice cream!

Radhika Singh ‘19: Hello, I’m Radhika Singh. I’m a first year. I’m a member at large. My fun fact is that I love dancing.

Delia Landers ’19: Hello! I’m Delia Landers. I’m class of 2019. I’ve never eaten meat.

Nikitha Shakamuri ‘19: Hello everyone, I’m your 2019 co-president Nikitha Shakamuri! My fun fact is that I love corny jokes!

Lillian Oyen-Ustad ’19: And I’m the other 2019 co-president Lillian Oyen-Ustad. My fun fact is listen to her jokes so I don’t have to!

Rina Patel ’18: I’m Rina Patel, I use she/her pronouns, and I’m a sophomore. My fun fact is I don’t get the hype over Haffner pizza.

Sedi Agawu ’17: Hello I’m Sedi Agawu, and along with Alexis, we are your 2017 class presidents. My fun fact is that I speak German.

Lilly King ’19: Hello, I’m Lilly. I’m a Member-at-large, and I use she/her pronouns. I’m a first year. My fun fact is when I was little I wanted to be Scooby-Doo.

Erin Saladin ’16: Hello I’m Erin.

Melanie Bahti ’16: And I’m Melanie. Our fun fact is we were in the same ESEM.

Sneha Soni ’16: Hello, I’m the off campus rep. My fun fact is I’ve traveled to over 25 countries.

Tyler Brown-Cross: I don’t know what class I am, but I’m Tyler, I’m a McBride. My fun fact is I write a lot of poetry.

Big Cheese Forum Discussion

Charlie Bruce ’16: So, last week we picked who we wanted to bring to Big Cheese. Sadly, Pelema can’t join us. However, Tom King and Lil, Peaches, Bernie Chung, Vanessa, and Stephanie Nixon can! One of the people invited, Ethel, was king of confused by being invited. Normally, senior staff are invited, and she’s technically not senior staff. Since Pelema is out, one of the things in our email conversation is what kind of questions students had regarding financial aid, but you can email me or say now what questions you had regarding financial aid.

Sarah Andrew ’16: One question I had was like the student handbook for financial aid, so I wanted to know what that was.

Erin Saladin ’16: I think it would be helpful to clarify how summer funding plays a role in financial aid.

Charlie Bruce ’16: Thank you. If you have any other questions you can email me at cebruce@brynmawr.edu. The EBoard has talked a lot about the structure of the forum. Admin will be divided into small groups with a facilitator and a note taker. The facilitator will lead. Admin will first ask the students how they feel about the topic, the students will answer, and then the students will ask them questions. This will happen for 10 minutes each, with a total of 30 minutes of conversation with the small groups. Then, a 10 minute big group report back. The thing that was concerning for us as an EBoard would be the tones of the conversations from last year. A lot of them were friendly, but others were aggressive. We understand that a lot of people have strong feelings, and those feelings and experiences are valid, but we encourage you, when talking to admin, to identify where your feelings of hurt are coming from and communicate them in a polite and professional manner. I think the goal that we have is to communicate between the students and the admin about the current structure and how we can create change. That’s our goal. Any questions? You can always email us at sga@brynmawr.edu. Next agenda item- old business.

Old Business

Charlie Bruce ’16: Any old business? Ok, new business!

New Business

Jasmine Rangel ’17: Hello everyone. So I believe the next meeting is Big Cheese, and eventually we’ll have a meeting on the same night as lantern night. So we need to figure out a new time. How can we go about that- does anyone have a time they would like to suggest?

Delaney Williams ’17: When is Lantern Night?

Celeste Ledesma ’17: Sunday, November 1st at 8pm. First years gather at 7pm, those helping will gather at 6pm.

Erin Saladin ’16: 2pm?

Joy Chan ’17: 11am?

Connie Lam ’18: 4pm?

Jasmine Rangel ’17: This is a representative council vote only. The choices are 11am, 2pm, and 4pm. Thank you. So November 1st at 4pm. See you then.

Charlie Bruce ’16: Our next meeting is October 25th, we will start with Big Cheese forum, and then we have our regularly scheduled SGA meeting after that. We are done for the night folks.

Melanie Bahti ’16: I motion to end the meeting.

Joy Chan ’17: Second.

Charlie Bruce ’16: Meeting adjourned! Have a great break!

Meeting adjourned at 7:40pm