Categories
Minutes

April 5, 2015 Minutes

Bryn Mawr College SGA Meeting – April 5, 2015

Announcements
Your Two Cents
Elections By-Laws Revision
Old Business
New Business

Roll Call
Present: Anna Kalinsky, Pam Gassman, Dijia Chen, Delaney Williams, Kristian Sumner, Grace Kim, Chanel Williams, Aleja Newman, Odeymarys Garrido, Ann Tran, Connie Lam, Shaina Robinson, Lyntana Brougham, Dani Weismann, Angie Koo, Carly Breen, Melanie Bahti, Joy Chan, Rachel Feynman, Leigh Peterson, Prerana Vaddi, Leah Kahler, Olivia Hollinger, Elaine Holehan, Sofia Oleas, Marian Slocum, Matison Hearn-Desautels, Shakari Badgett, Jillian Moroney, Sneha Bendapudi, Heidi Gay, Pamudu Tennakoon, Swetha Narasimhan, Rhea Manglani, Ava Hawkinson, Brenna Levitin, Julia Kim, Jessica Bernal, Modupe Olufemi

Absent: Anna Sargeant, Mikah Farbo, Natalie DiFrank, Xavia Miles, Miranda Smith, Makala Forster, Stephanie Montalvan, Lindsay Burak, Gabrielle Crossnoe, Nkechi Ampah, Catherine Wagner, Alexis McDonald, Julie Henrikson

Charlie Bruce ‘16 called the meeting to order at 7:10pm

Roll Call
Angela Motte ’17: Just letting everyone know that in accordance with the state of Pennsylvania’s laws I am informing you that I will be recording this meeting.

Angela Motte ‘17: Thanks you guys!
Charlie Bruce ’16: Next on the agenda is Announcements. During this item, any new items for discussion, questions, or announcements can be made. We have allotted ten minutes for this agenda item.

Announcements
Anna Kalinsky ‘15 and Sofia Oleas ‘15: Please don’t forget that room draw will be happening over the next two weeks! This Wednesday is hall group draw at 7pm in TGH. Multiple occupancy draw will follow at 8pm. Next Wednesday, the 15th, will be rising senior and junior draw at 9 PM. Rising sophomore draw will be the next day, Thursday the 16th, at 9 pm also in TGH. Room selection will be in the dorm you drew into on Thursday April the 23rd at 10 PM.
Sofia Oleas ‘15: Please do not go and be loud and rowdy in another year’s drawing because it’s overall just disrespectful.

Delaney Williams ‘17 and JoyAngelica Chan ‘17: Nominations for the April round of elections have started. The positions that you can run for are the following:
• Head of Res-co
• Head of Student Curriculum Committee
• Head of Social Committee
• 2 Members of Appointments Committee
• Traditions Mistress/Master/Mistex
• 2016/2017/2018 Class Presidents
• Civic Engagement Representative
• LILAC/CPD Representative
• 2016/2017/2018 Songs Mistress/Master/Mistex
• Honor Board Representatives

Here are the dates for you all to start thinking ahead:
April 5 (7pm)- April 13 (9am) are Nominations
April 13-15 are Info Sessions, which will be offered at:
April 13 – Monday – Dalton 300: 3-4, 6-7, 7-8
April 14 – Tuesday – Dalton 212E: 2-3, 7-8, 9-10
April 15 6-7:30 is Candidates Forum in the Campus Center
April 17 until Elections is campaigning time
April 20 (9am)-April 21 (7pm) is VOTING
Then runoffs, if need be, are April 23 (9am)-April 24 (7pm).
Thank you! Remember to nominate and vote!

Marian Slocum ‘15: Senior shirts will be on sale in the Campus Center on Wednesday (4/8) from 10:00AM until 2:00PM. They will be $15 and the proceeds go to “Juice” for the last (and best) Senior Cocktail to kick off Senior Week.

Aleja Newman ’17 and Odeymarys Garrido ‘17: The Deans office is holding sophomore celebration in TGH on April 17th at 4pm.

Aleja Newman ‘17: April 11th is the RnM show! The show starts at 8:00pm, doors open at 7:30pm. Please email me for more information.

Gabrielle Smith ‘17: Applying for an appointed position through SGA is a great way to get involved and make change in the Bryn Mawr community! Applications for the April Appointments Round will be accepted until April 8 at 11:59 pm! Make sure to sign up for an interview after submitting your application
Application: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://goo.gl/forms/PvswVrjYQl&k=Zn6W9g0QMlyJSNRckEnWug%3D%3D%0A&r=sChfAqRXzPHGUTAqUiwlT97aM3UxH12vmV%2BchAvL89nvBvUYkFWYEJeioUe%2Bk7Xn%0A&m=Ol0DxojQ4Qe469eYj5cQxXaD%2FZJBazEpMeDxdq7m5II%3D%0A&s=43c0df8f6c97db356b8a33687722cb915ef1f03d57a87ffd372f8f2b1f1ba082
Interview: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://doodle.com/nxczh2x9es3w8m2r&k=Zn6W9g0QMlyJSNRckEnWug%3D%3D%0A&r=sChfAqRXzPHGUTAqUiwlT97aM3UxH12vmV%2BchAvL89nvBvUYkFWYEJeioUe%2Bk7Xn%0A&m=Ol0DxojQ4Qe469eYj5cQxXaD%2FZJBazEpMeDxdq7m5II%3D%0A&s=d03a6b5cb276644c77dfe0ed324f20f7b0ed362dc3a3963a66bc17a36b2915b4
Positions up for reappointment are:
Board of Trustees Rep
Bryn Mawr Concert Series Heads
Bryn Mawr Concert Series Officers
Conflict Resolution Committee
Student Curriculum Committee
Film Series Committee Head
Film Series Committee
Seven Sisters Representative
SGA Web Misstress/Master/Mistex
Green Ambassador Co-heads
S.TEAM
Student Finance Committee
Health Center Advisory Board
Plenary Committee
Campus Greening Representative
Outreach and Communications Committee
Sustainable Food Committee
If you have any questions please email gbsmith@brynmawr.edu

Charlie Bruce ‘16: I also want to clarify that we split announcements and Your Two Cents because if we combine them, then we have a really long agenda item. With that, do we have any more announcements? Nope, ok, let’s move to Your Two Cents!

Your Two Cents
Anna Kalinsky ‘15 and Sofia Oleas ‘15: Hey guys! So, every week we meet at Tuesday group, and they floated the idea of having a time capsule that we can bury in Haffner and open in 50 years. Kim Cassidy is really excited about this, but only if we are really excited about this. We want to take a straw poll to gauge student interest.
Marian Slocum ‘15: What would go in the time capsule?
Anna Kalinsky ‘15: It all depends.
Sofia Oleas ‘15: This is kind of just to see if we have any interest in doing this, we’ll figure out what we’d want to put in later.
Aleja Newman ‘17: Can you also think about doing it or not doing it depending on what goes in the time capsule?
Anna Kalinsky ‘15: Sorry?
Aleja Newman ‘17: Never mind. I guess, would we be made to give something, like, from everyone?
Anna Kalinsky ’15: This would be a completely voluntary activity; we would never force someone to put something in a time capsule.
Sofia Oleas ‘15: Any other questions? Ok, Thank you! Yes, No, or abstain, please raise your hands.

Aleja Newman ‘17: I’m really nervous about this, but I have been talking with some people, and I wanted to talk about the aura of SGA and how it feels kind of excusive, and I want to take a straw poll to see if we would all be willing to have a conversation about this after SGA?
Elaine Holehan ‘16: Would it be possible for it to be incorporated into an SGA meeting because a lot of us have work after the meeting?
Aleja Newman ‘17: Yeah.
Marian Slocum ‘15: Are the people you’re hearing this from coming to SGA or not?
Aleja Newman ‘17: Yeah.
Pamudu Tennakoon ‘15: How do you want the people who don’t go to SGA to come to SGA to talk about this?
Aleja Newman ‘17: I would like that to be sent out in an email, like we have this talk during SGA, we want your voices heard, kind of like a town hall thing.
Shakari Badgett ‘17: Do you have any specific instances?
Aleja Newman ‘17: I think the community is perceived- I don’t want to call out people, just how like the Rep Council can feel exclusive, like our EBoard can feel exclusive, and people don’t feel comfortable, I don’t know how to explain that, I don’t know.
Melanie Bahti ‘16: I think I see the point that you’re trying to make, but do you think that having this at an SGA meeting will be the most conducive?
Aleja Newman ‘17: That’s a good point. That’s why I’m thinking about doing a town hall.
Melanie Bahti ‘16: What do you mean town hall?
Aleja Newman ‘17: Like in the campus center, like how we had a talk on the confederate flag.
Shakari Badgett ‘17: So, hold on, you mean no voice, as in not having a vote?
Aleja Newman ‘17: No.
Shakari Badgett ‘17: I don’t know what you’re saying.
Aleja Newman ‘17: I’m just going to say it- that SGA can be a clique and they don’t feel welcome to run because they feel like it goes against this group.
Brenna Levitin ‘16: I think this is excellent. We are very exclusive, and I think that the Rep Council is made up of a lot of people who feel a lot of the same way. I think that a town hall would be a really good idea too.
Delaney Williams ‘17: Are we voting as having it as a town hall or during an SGA meeting?
Aleja Newman ‘17: I guess, town hall vote? Ok, so yes, no, and abstain. Would you like this topic to happen in a town hall? No? Abstain? Thank you so much, and Angela I will make sure to email you
Angela Motte ’17: Thank you!
Charlie Bruce ‘16: I’m curious to see what the people that abstained where thinking….
Rhea Manglani ‘17: I abstained mostly because I’m not too sure how many people feel this way because this is a small school regardless, and this is just part of college in general. I don’t want to be passive and say no, but I don’t agree, so that’s why I abstained.
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Is there a motion to extend time 5 minutes? This is a Rep Council vote only. Thank you, we have another 5 minutes. I’m interested in hearing your ideas.
Julia Kim ‘18: Everyone is involved in SGA because it’s so fundamental to our system. The people who are in the room right now are volunteering more time because they care.
Ann Tran ’18: I abstained because I thought that I haven’t experienced that, but I can’t say that other people haven’t. I didn’t want to invalidate anyone else’s opinion, but it have not effected me personally, or anyone that has talked to me about SGA.
Chanel Williams ’16: I abstained because I’m not sure what the format of the conversation would be.
Anna Kalinsky ‘15: I abstained because the format and the idea itself seem half-baked. I don’t think it would be a productive meeting, and I wonder why this event would be different than other SGA meetings?
Charlie Bruce ‘16: I would really encourage you to email SGA@brynmawr.edu if you have any other feelings about this. Ok, going onwards! Hi everyone, I have three question related items. First one is that I’m a member of the committee to select the speaker for 2016 commencement. Could I get some suggestions for commencement speakers? We can only spend $25,000 and I’m missing another constraint…Chanel what was it?
Chanel Williams ’16: No politicians because they can cancel.
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Yes, so if you think of a speaker or name later, you can email me at cebruce@brynmawr.edu. Second question: Lisa Zerneke emailed me about a gender neutral name for “Garden party girls”. I’ll share with her the suggestions that folks here came up with. Any suggestions?
Marian Slocum ‘15: Garden Party Fairies
Leah Kahler ‘16: Garden Partiers
Kristian Sumner ‘17: Garden Party Pals
Aleja Newman ‘17: Garden Party People
Michaela Olsen ‘15: Garden Party Friends, or Garden Party Helpers
JoyAngelica Chan ‘17: Garden Party Ghosts
Anna Kalinsky ‘15: Garden Party Hosts
Rachel Feynman ‘15: Garden Party Kids

Charlie Bruce ’16: Third question: last Thursday, an email was sent out to the Bryn Mawr community saying that a Hell Week Task Force will be created in order to revise the tradition of Hell Week. The goal of the Task Force is to create new policies that would allow for a safer and more inclusive environment of the tradition. The new policy will be drafted in the coming weeks and should be ready by October. Currently, there are three student representatives, two of which are Pam and Dijia. The committee is looking for one more representative, and I’ve been asked to solicit suggestions. If you know of a student who you think would be good for this committee, please email me at cebruce@brynmawr.edu. Email me with suggestions by Tuesday 5pm.
Kate Pellegrini ‘17: Is there a limitation on studying aboard or not?
Charlie Bruce ‘16: No, this will be completed before May so it won’t matter.
Pamudu Tennakoon ’15: I motion to extend time to the end of speaking order.
Grace Kim ’16: I second.
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Thank you.
Pam Gassman ‘16: This task force will only be to the middle of May, so the end of finals. We will have something else formed for next year by this emergency task force for the future. Also, current seniors are not eligible.
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Awesome, thank you.

Elizabeth Vandenberg ‘16: Hello I am Elizabeth Vandenberg class of 2016, and we are having a meeting this Monday to talk about student spaces to see how people use them, especially in light of what’s happening with the pagoda. Our meeting is Monday at 8pm. Please email deathtothepatriarchy@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns, or any ideas. Thank you all!

Charlie Bruce ’16: Ok with that, let’s move on the Elections By-Law Revisions!

Elections By-Laws Revisions
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Rep Council members you should have received and read this revision. Do we have any questions?
Brenna Levitin ‘16: I know that we previously talked to Molly about changing off campus reps to run at the same time as Dorm Presidents. I don’t see that. What happened?
Molly MacDougall ‘16: The timeline for elected positions isn’t in the bylaws. This section is specifically about the dorm president elections.
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Any other questions?
Elaine Holehan ‘16: It’s towards the bottom, will you scroll down? Will the DLT not running for DP’s be enforced?
Molly MacDougall ‘16: That’s always been, the changes are highlighted in blue.
Elizabeth Vandenberg ‘16: So, will senior members of the Rep Council and like senior members of the past EBoard still supervise speech’s of candidates?
Molly MacDougall ‘16: Yes, and whoever is running room selections will also help to supervise speeches.
Charlie Bruce ‘16: Ok, so yes I do approve, no I do not approve, or I abstain.

Vote is taken, and the revisions are passed.

Charlie Bruce ‘15: Ok with that we’re going to move on to Old business. During old business, material that has already been presented may be revisited, questioned, or announced. We have allotted 10 minutes for this agenda item.

Old Business
Charlie: No old business? Then we will move on to new business! New business is for the Representative Council members only. Any new items for discussion, questions, or announcements can be made that relate to the representative’s position. We have allotted 10 minutes for this agenda item.

New Business
Molly MacDougall ‘16: Since our election, the EBoard has been discussing decorum, what it means for us, and how we would like to see it implemented better at Representative Council meetings. Decorum is acting respectfully towards others in your behavior in the space. The goal of keeping decorum is to create an environment where people feel comfortable expressing their ideas and opinions. Because of this, it is inappropriate to clap/snap/or otherwise publicly show support of someone’s statement. You can disagree with the idea, and we encourage you to vocalize your disagreement in the appropriate speaking order. However, decorum does not bar us from clapping to express appreciation for a guest sharing their time with us (ex. Admissions Committee or Big Cheeses).

It’s important to bear in mind why we are in this space. For those of us in elected positions (RepCo), you are here to do a job. You are here to represent the interest of your constituents. Since this is a professional space, there is an expectation that behavior in this space remains respectful. When you were elected to these positions, the undergraduate community charged you with specific duties, which you accepted and are expected to fulfill if you intend to keep your position. Out of respect for others and yourselves, we ask that you avoid using your phone, laptops, or other distracting devices if you are using them for activities not relating to the SGA meeting. In order to fully carry out your duties as members of the Representative Council, you need to not only be present at Representative Council meetings, but also fully engaged and respectful of others’ engagement. Please keep these ideas of professionalism and respect while carrying out the remainder of your terms.

Charlie Bruce ‘16: If you have any feeling, sentiments, or ideas about decorum or the space of SGA, please email us. We want to make this space as inclusive as possible, and we encourage you to share your thoughts and ideas with us. With that, we have reached the end of our meeting.

Anna Kalinsky ’15: I motion to end the meeting.
Melanie Bahti ’16: I second.
Charlie Bruce ‘16: This is a representative council vote only; please consult with your co-held position.

(Voted to adjourn meeting: Anna Kalinsky, Pam Gassman, Dijia Chen, Delaney Williams, Kristian Sumner, Grace Kim, Chanel Williams, Aleja Newman, Odeymarys Garrido, Ann Tran, Connie Lam, Shaina Robinson, Lyntana Brougham, Dani Weismann, Angie Koo, Carly Breen, Melanie Bahti, Joy Chan, Rachel Feynman, Leigh Peterson, Prerana Vaddi, Leah Kahler, Olivia Hollinger, Elaine Holehan, Sofia Oleas, Marian Slocum, Matison Hearn-Desautels, Shakari Badgett, Jillian Moroney, Sneha Bendapudi, Heidi Gay, Pamudu Tennakoon, Swetha Narasimhan, Rhea Manglani, Ava Hawkinson, Brenna Levitin, Julia Kim, Jessica Bernal, Modupe Olufemi)

Charlie Bruce ‘16: Ok, class is dismissed! Have a good night you all!

Meeting Adjourned at 7:45pm